Monday, July 12, 2010

Post Internship, Day 2

Today was another one of those days. You know, were I had no idea what to do. Think about yesterday, just worse...

I had nothing really planned. And I started my day with looking for a job. I put in 5 applications. And all I can do is pray. Because there are so many people looking for a job right now. Especially in this tiny town!

I came home and had some leftover spaghetti. Which was yummy! And I called my parents. Who seemed happy. Which was nice. Because things have been stressful. You know, my brother and all. Anyway, my brother went to the BINGO last night. And he won. $1100. Who knows what he's going to do with it. Probably waste it away. But whatever. How do some people have all the luck. Not even a month ago, he won almost $400 playing the slots. But you know how that goes...

Anyway, yesterdays weather spoiled me a bit. And today I paid dearly for it. It was so HOT! Especially in my house. I couldn't take it. Turns out, it was 90 something today. And still 10 degrees below are normal. Yes, we should have been at least 107 degrees today. I hope tomorrow is not that HOT!

But I knew I needed to tackle the yard. You know, the rain only brings weeds. And I needed to get those under control. I decided to work on my front yard. Since it's under the pecan trees. And well, mushrooms have invaded! And they're tearing up my yard! The little bit of grass is just getting eaten by these mushrooms. They were not there yesterday! How did this happen?

So I pulled and pulled. Weeds and mushrooms. 2 bags full! And I tried to give my flowers some TLC. I'm really starting to lose hope in my flowers. They just won't bloom. It's been too hot. But I did get some flowers and plants together for my Mom. I promised to take her some when I go home. :)

After almost passing out, I decided to stop. You know, get some water and catch my breath. I realized I was bright red. And I was probably overdoing it. I thought about dinner. Then figured it was too hot to eat. I skipped dinner again. I know. But that's how it goes sometimes.

I tried to catch up on some important things. I collected my laundry. And packed. I'm going to see my parents tomorrow. Just for a couple of days. But now, I'm ready. And around 6PM, I decided to try my hand at yard work again. It was a lot cooler.

I was doing good. Pulling those pesky little weeds that grow along my fence. Picking up all the trash that was caught up in my fence. Watering my little seedlings and checking on my plants. It was going well. Until I decided to get some water. I locked myself out of my house! Seriously, this is a HUGE issue. I guess I could have gone to Memo's or J's house. But I figured they weren't home.

So I attempted to break into my house. Which is tough! I have those steel sash, crank windows from like the 40s/50s. And well, everything was closed up. Except, my kitchen windows. Which are inside my screened in, locked porch. Ugh! But I managed. My neighbors' dogs were going nuts. But I found a small piece of wire. And I managed to get into the porch. Then, I managed to get the screen of one of the windows. It was so hard! But thankfully, I hadn't put it back on right yesterday. When I had cleaned them. A good thing. I was able to climb up the wall, thank goodness for my rickety old outside chair, and I squeezed through a window that had a very small opening. My window was only opened about halfway. And wouldn't open any further. Because I had it locked. Total time, 2 hours! I could have kicked myself for that.

I managed to get everything locked down again. Made sure things were in order. And decided to sit outside with my water. It was nearly 9PM, but so HOT still! As I was watering some plants in my front porch, a small SUV stopped at the stop sign. In front of my neighbor's house. I could hear some yelling, but tried to ignore it. Wrong move people! The lady, who was driving, through the man out! With his case of beer. All was very strange. But I sat there and watched.

He walked across the street, to my side of the street. Beer in tote. Mumbling to himself. And the lady drove off. Not sure what was going on. He walked down the street. And I kinda forgot about him. Until, I decided to load some stuff into my car for tomorrow. I saw him sitting, 2 houses down, in the front yard. Talking to the lady neighbor. He was clearly upset.

I packed up. And I could sorta hear them. Not what they were saying, but their tone of voice. I felt bad for the guy. But I had no clue what was going on. Again, I went to sit in my front porch and just relax. It was finally cooling down. Then my neighbor got home. And there was all sorts of yelling. I think the 2 men are related somehow. But I don't know how.

The small guy (beer guy) was asking my neighbor (Big Daddy-that's his business name) a question. And before I knew it they were yelling at each other. In the middle of the street, right in front of my house. I didn't want to get up. Because I knew they couldn't see me. But if I got up, they would hear me. I prayed it would be over soon.

And before I knew it, Big Daddy was bumping his stomach into Beer Guy. Beer Guy was trying to walk away, but Big Daddy wouldn't let him. Then, fist hit face. With a loud bang! Big Daddy really has a mean punch! Something for me to remember...

Before I knew it, Beer Guy took off running. And Big Daddy was screaming at our good neighbor to call the cops. Well, he comes Good Neighbor, in his little truck. And they take off to look for Beer Guy. Around this time, I remember I need to put a few more things in my car. And as that is happening, I see Beer Guy running down another street. The guys in the truck, nowhere to be seen. The lady, still sitting in her front yard.

Then the guys return, take off in 2 trucks and can't find Beer Guy. Before I know it, the cops are in front of Big Daddy's house. Taking the report from his wife. Big Daddy nowhere to be seen. Turns out, Beer Guy left his case of beer (40 pack?-I don't know the proper beer terminology) and had her cell phone. Because the fight just sorta happened.

Good neighbor came home. Parked his truck and went inside. That was just a few minutes ago. Big Daddy? Well he just got home too. Now he's talking to the cops. I remember, not too long ago, this was a very quiet neighborhood. Now this. I just don't know what to say.

But that was my day. Post internship, day 2. I'm usually not home a lot. So I'm learning a lot about my neighbors. Like my neighbor next door, he's selling all his furniture. And I'm watching the news. A shootout in my hometown today. The shooter also kills himself. There was a shootout across the border, and a drug related cartel accident on the bridge. 2nd in just 3 days. It's crazy people! But I guess this is my life now. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment