Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hoping

Before Father's Day, I requested a song, on a popular Country Show, for my parents. I learned tonight, my request will be answered. I learned this, after I submitted another request. This one for Patrick. Here's what I wrote...

20 years ago, I met an amazing man. Someone that I grew to love like a second father. He was a close friend of our family. And in his own way, 20 years ago, he started to guide my life is such a positive direction.

As a young child, Patrick was an incredible mentor to me. I looked up to him. And I never wanted to disappoint him. Academics were always so important to him. Whenever he felt like I needed a push in the right direction, he'd sit me in his office and we'd talk. I also knew, whenever I needed to talk, he'd always make time for me. Regardless of how important his work titles got, he made the time.

Patrick became more and more important to my life as I got older. I went off to college. And quite often, I would call him for support. If there was a big decision to be made, I always asked his opinion. But our relationship went far past that. He was a dear friend, a mentor, someone I looked up to, and somewhere along the way, he became part of my family.

This man taught me so much about life. In my darkest days, he was there to shine light on my life. To encourage me to get up, and to continue on my way. He always encouraged my dreams and aspirations. Patrick was such a shining star in my life. The hope that I needed when I would give up on myself. And on the brightest of days, he was there to celebrate with me. To show how proud he was that I had accomplished one of my goals.

Sadly, on September 18, 2010, he lost his battle with cancer and pulmonary hypertension. I believe, Patrick was sent into my life, to encourage me and give me hope. To show me that all things are possible, with a little bit of faith and a lot of hard work. I lost a dear friend, but I gained so very much by knowing Patrick. He was the answer to so many of my prayers. Patrick showed me, taught me, and guided me through so much of my life. Now, I have an angel who will forever watch over me.

Can you please play Alabama's "Angels Among Us." I had the opportunity to know an angel. And this song will forever remind me of Dr. J. Patrick Garcia. Even in his death, he is working to make our world a better place.

It's crazy how the world works. But I do hope that this request is picked. What a great man Patrick was. And I hope to spread the word, of what an incredible man Patrick was. One day, I am going to do something big to celebrate his life. And to help his legacy continue. But until that day, I can tell a little bit of his story. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment